Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Secret Family Recipe

Green Derby...have you ever heard of it?  My great aunt, Aunt June introduced us to this tasty mix at a young age.  Everyone that we make it for loves it.  I am not certain how it was introduced into the family but my aunt loved dining at fancy restaurants and loved a good steak so it is likely that she sweet-talked someone into sharing the recipe.
I will tell you how to make the mix (mix lasts months and months)...and my favorite ways to combine the mix with food.

First, the recipe for the mix:
1 small jar of Accent seasoning
1 small (.5 oz or so) jar of Oregano seasoning
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup ground pepper

Put all ingredients in a sealed jar and mix well.  My aunt told me I should turn the jar everyday for a week.

Once you are ready to mix some up you will need:
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
One tablespoon of mix

For a quick mix you can simply add one diced tomato.  I also love to add cucumber and green onion if we have them on hand. Stick the mix in the fridge for 20 minutes or so and you are ready to serve.  If you like green peppers, they are a good addition as well. Really, any veggies that can soak up flavors would probably be great.

For a salad mix, which is SO DELISH, don't add the lettuce until you are ready to serve so it stays crisp.
This marinated magic dish can be served by themselves as a side dish.  They are also great as part of a fresh tomato bruschetta.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment