Thursday, August 14, 2014

What I Thought About What I Bought: Contouring Powders

Hello my fellow cosmetics lovers!  Today, I am giving you a review on my first contouring powders.  I am pretty basic when it comes to make-up.  I have oily skin and too much make-up is not a good mix.

I have long read the benefits of using contouring and highlighting shadows but never tried them, until recently. So far, I have tried two.  One works great for me and one, not so much.  Kim Kardashian made Ben Nye Banana Powder famous.  Everyone has probably seen these before and after photos and she makes it look so easy.
I ordered some online and tried a few times but couldn't get this powder to be as great on me.  I tried applying it with a medium sized kinda firm brush but made more of a mess than anything.  I took a couple day break and tried again using a flat, foundation brush.  It went on much better and didn't make a mess at all.  I waited a few minutes (as recommended online) and blended with a beauty blender.  Unfortunately, I just never got a look I loved and I ended up breaking out on my forehead.  I am not sure what triggered it, but since I stopped I haven't had any issues.  

I did a little more research and found this SMASHBOX combo set online at Sephora and decided to order. It cost much more than the banana powder did but Sephora is so great about returns, I thought...what the heck and splurged for it.
I opened the package and found that it had complete, super simple instructions plus a brush (shown).
 

I was initially concerned that the brush was so soft and fluffy that it may not work well but it is great!  There are instructions right on the mirror and the powder goes on so smooth.  There are no instructions on blending but I am using a kabuki brush (there are so many choices) and blending in after I finish the contour/highlight steps.  I top with a touch of blush.  (I love NARS)  
This is a little work for everyday (although the process is fairly simple) but I will definitely take the extra steps for a night out and maybe some big meetings at work.    

Have you tried contouring and highlighting?  Tell me what you think.      


 

No comments:

Post a Comment