Monday, November 4, 2013

Holiday shopping safety tips

Over these next couple months the malls will be packed with shoppers.  I do most of my clothing shopping online these days but Christmas shopping is still a reason to get out and about and hit the shops.  With daylight saving time ending, it will be dark much earlier and female shoppers need to be extra cautious.  I wanted to share a few ideas to keep you safe this holiday season.

The first step is getting ready for a shopping day.  I recommend a crossbody bag.  Not only is it more comfortable, it lowers your risk for being targeted for someone to run up and grab your purse from your shoulder.  {Check out a few of my fave crossbody bags here}   


My next tip is to valet park, whenever possible.  Not only are you safer by valet parking, your gifts stored inside your car are too. Most places average $5-$10 plus a few dollars tip.  You will save time avoiding the dreaded drive up and down every aisle and lower your risk as an easy target for thieves.


After hitting the stores, make a habit of keeping your shopping bags in the trunk, locked up.  Thieves will always go for the easy target and if there are no gifts or valuables in sight, they will likely skip right past your car.


My last tip is one of the best pieces of advice I got from my parents and it has become a habit.  Always, always, always get your keys in your hand before going outside.  This inlcudes grocery shopping, quick stops at the drug store, leaving work and anytime you are walking out to your car.  Take a few seconds at the cash register or at the door before you step outside to locate your car keys and get them ready.  Don't wait until you are outside to fumble through your bag to locate them.  Happy shopping my friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment