Monday, July 20, 2015

And the award for worst weekend ever....

Ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong?  Yep, that was me this weekend.

To rewind a touch, my little 14.5 year old dog Alex was not himself Thursday morning.  He has a neurological disorder so there is the random day he is not feeling the best so we chalked it up to a bad day.  By that evening, he was panting nonstop and was so restless he couldn't lay still.
Friday morning was tough.  He was disoriented and walking into furniture like he couldn't see.  I called into work and we were at the vet at 7:45.  Our little buddy had a stroke.  I was sure we'd have to put him down but the vet actually discouraged us and said to give him 7-10 days and he could snap right out of it.

We got some meds to let him sleep it off and went back home.  There wasn't much else we could do but I decided to just work from home so I could keep an eye on him just in case.
Saturday completely fell apart.  Alex was still very out of it and now couldn't walk.  We called the vet again but he said it's normal and to let him rest.  All his bloodwork came back and they said he looked great.  I went to my niece's wakeboard competition in the morning and came back home.
Alex was hanging in there.  He loves to lay by the pool so I took him out for a while and we sat on the porch so he could get a little fresh air.
My soccer team was having a BBQ so I ran over for an hour.  My niece Payton asked to come back with me and on our way home we were hit by a car.  The driver was traveling at extremely high speed and lost control of his Porsche.  He hit the left rear corner of my Escalade at 50+ and sent us across four lanes of traffic, across a median and spinning a 180 into oncoming traffic.  OMG.
My niece was completely hysterical.  Screaming doesn't even describe it.
 

 
It started pouring down rain as they completed the report and I was in complete shock.  Just seconds before, my niece and I are chatting away and next thing you know we are spun into oncoming traffic. 
Unreal.  We are okay.  My car will need some repairs but his obviously got the worse end of the deal.

My sis came and picked up Payton and I went home to dry off.  It was another hour on the phone with my insurance before I was back on dog watch.  I let Alex lay on my chest, partly because I was feeling sorry for myself and partly being sad he was so sick.  I moved his bed to the end of he couch and read a magazine.  About 8:30, my bad day got worse.  I saw Alex moving around a little, readjusting in his bed and I called Simon in.  We changed his bedding for him and got him settled back in.  Just moments after that, Simon noticed he wasn't moving.  We stared at him for probably 15 minutes, before realizing he had passed.  We had to put a dog down last October from kidney failure but this was totally different.  Our little buddy was so peaceful and didn't make a peep. We were both right beside him. Not knowing what to do, Simon called the ER vet to see if they could take care of him.  Simon wanted me to stay home with our other dog Isabella and try to keep calm.  
Last year when Esea was taken to the ER vet, the next day Alex had to be taken too.  They never diagnosed anything other than emotional trauma.  Sooooo sad.  :(

Simon had the ER double check Alex he text'd me that Alex had indeed went onto puppy heaven. Geez....what a day.  We were so heartbroken.  14.5 years is a long time to have our little pal with us. 5 homes, our wedding, 6 kids births....our little dogs have been there for it all.

After shedding some tears, I decided to pull it together Sunday and get some chores done.  I walked out to the garage only to hear some terrible noises and the springs breaking.  Nothing major but come on, like I haven't had a bad enough weekend.  Isabella and I relaxed the rest of the day doing some chores and taking it easy.  I talked Simon into going out with his buddies on their four-wheelers so he could get out for the day.  Of course, his side-by-side ATV breaks and he has to be towed in.  Wow.  

My little twin nieces surprised me with some flowers, dinner and a sleepover.  I was already scheduled to be off with them for an overnight trip today and aside from the insurance, police report, etc calls that will have to be made, I am hoping to have a decent day and put our bad luck behind us.

Monday has a bad rep but hey, after a terrible weekend...that babe isn't sounding too bad. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment