Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Recipe: 5 minute fruit salsa

I have the perfect, tasty treat for you.  This fruit salsa recipe is healthy, simple, quick to prepare and can be completely modified to your liking.  It's only called salsa because of it's texture.  There are no "salsa" ingredients in it at all.  
I was talked into attending a Tupperware party a few years back by a friend at work.  I really didn't want to go but you know how those hosting parties are.  It was interesting, the selling approach they take is very modern.  I was imagining a lady holding each product and trying to sell that way.  They take a DIY approach and show you a few simple recipes, meanwhile, demonstrating how to use the products.  
Well, I got sold!  

I bought this super handy (but a little pricey) food chopper.  It is well-made and is nearly in perfect condition so I guess it's hard to knock the price.  There may be other alternatives out there but this does the trick.  
We learned to make a tasty fruit salsa at the party I attended.  
It's all fresh fruit plus a touch of jelly for sweetness and is so delish!  
Here goes:
Buy whatever fruits you like.  I like pears, apples, kiwi, strawberries and nectarines.  I didn't have good luck with pineapple (shredded instead of chopped when I tried), grapes were a little runny and star fruit seemed to be loved or no love at all so I usually skip them too. 

This little chopper makes a lot of salsa so start with just one piece of each fruit.  The quantity really surprised me.  I found it is best to start with the hardest textures first.  Since there is a lot of chopping, you want to have the softest fruit in last.  I sliced in rectangle shapes holding the fruit up and skipping the seeds and stem.
I like to add a small amount of strawberry preserves as one of the last ingredients to give it a little sweetness.  
It is a beautiful presentation, especially in a glass bowl.  You will be tempted to eat this stuff by the spoonful but trust me, it's worth the extra step to scoop some up using cinnamon chips.  I learned how to make them homemade (also at the party) but it's very time consuming.  I love Stacy's brand cinnamon pita chips.  
Have any creative ways to serve this salsa?  Let's hear it!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment