Sunday, February 10, 2013

My first (Florida) Mardi Gas

It's a Mardi party!
I am back home from a whirlwind road trip.  The company I work for (Adams Homes) is headquartered in Gulf Breeze, Florida and there are several events each year that everyone gets together for.  One of my new favorites is the Pensacola Mardi Gras.
With Pensacola in driving distance from New Orleans, the city is definitely inspired by the fun of Fat Tuesday and has three parades in the city the weekend before.  One of my colleagues, Melissa and I drove up Friday and within a few hours of arriving got to see the first of the three parades scheduled.  We stayed with two of our friends (and co-workers) Matt and Annie and they live downtown.  It is perfectly located in walking distance to most of the weekend festivities.
  

We grabbed dinner at The Wine Bar and walked right outside the restaurant for the Friday night parade.
I scored several strands of beads, a t-shirt and my first King moon pies.


Saturday was the big event.  I got to ride on the company float and threw lots and lots of beads.  Tail-gating started at 10:00am and the parade was at 2:00pm.  They had lots of parade entries and thousands of Pensacola residents lined the streets for the floats.

I hope this was my first of many Mardi Gras parades.  Maybe one year I'll stay the extra time and catch the real deal in New Orleans. :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment