Sunday, September 22, 2013

The perfect dress for female athletes

I started playing soccer at 11 years old.  I look a lot like my mom from the waist up and am a combo of my dad and a long-time soccer player from the waist down.  Some call it pear shaped, some call it curvy, some call it an athletic build.  One thing I do know is it can be very frustrating to shop for jeans and slacks.
Often times, I find it much easier to wear a skirt or dress.  I am a size smaller in the waist than I am in the legs.  I spend a lot of time (and money) having to get bottoms tailored so I don't end up with the big gap in the back of the waist area.  
I have found that White House Black Market carries several styles of dresses, perfect for my body type. The fit I have found works best is a fitted bodice (narrow through the top) a nipped waist and then a-line shape to just above my knees.  I recently picked up a couple of their dresses with a "drop-waist" and those made my mid-section look even slimmer and a more lean silhouette.  They had some super cute "tulip" style dresses but I found them to make me feel a little self-conscious and look like I was trying to conceal, the area I was trying to conceal.  
I love shopping at WHBM, they always get new looks in and rotate sales. Most of the dresses are $175-$250 full priced, but I pop in often and catch sales so I always have a dress ready for my next event.  
Shape is the most important factor to me so I try and stay "a dress ahead" of what I have going on so I don't have to shop in a rush and end up with something I don't love.
Here are some of my recent favorites.    
       
Dressing for an athletic build


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the new blog design:) I know all about the "athletic build!" Great picks!

    ReplyDelete