Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas tree decorating tips

Have your Christmas tree up yet?  My husband surprised me last week with a beautiful tree, nearly 10' tall. This is our tallest tree yet so I looked online for some decorating tips.  Here are the best that I found online combined with my personal experience.
1. Get the right sized tree stand.  We tried to make our old tree stand work but the tree was unstable.  We went up to Lowe's and got one a better fit for our taller tree.  What we picked {HERE}

2. Once Simon trimmed the trunk and placed it in the stand, I let it settle in for a day or so so the limbs could fall some. (Notice my nieces in bathing suits...in late November.  Florida kiddos)

3.  Lights.  I found a lot of recommendations online about how many lights to use.  Generally, online sites recommend that you use one 100-light strand for every foot of tree height.  At the stores near me, lights are sold in 150 and 200-light packages.  Green coated wires are a must to hide them in the tree.  Lighting techniques vary from winding around the tree like a cone to separating the tree in "triangle sections" to wrapping individual limbs.  I ended up using five 200-light strings.

4. This tip I found online and it was so helpful.  Place your largest ornaments on first to help cover bare spots.  This was great advice.  I also hung my heaviest ornaments which also helped fill in some bare spots.  Here are some close-ups of my ornaments.

5.  When placing the rest of the ornaments, spread out your colors.  I used red, silver and white ornaments so I did my best to use them in combinations of three at a time, using one of each color.

6.  My last piece was my tree topper.  I have a couple glass options to top the tree but ended up going with a medium sized bow that had hanging ribbons.  I could stand to upsize my bow if I come across something I like.  Here is a shot of the nearly finished tree.  I still have a train to add around the base and of course, gifts!

7. Lastly, what to do with those broken ornaments.  Well, I seem to get a few each year that break somehow.  Mostly, the hanging portion breaks off making it impossible to hang.  I gathered up my bunch of broken pieces and swapped out my centerpiece apples arrangement for a seasonal look with the spare/broken ornaments and a few small pine cones. Cute huh?!  Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment